Monday 15 February 2016

Part III, The Epilogue - Enamelling




And Finally........

Enamelling; A world of possibilities, a world of frustration.

I borrowed a couple of books from the library to try and trouble-shoot a few issues I've been having, but instead they ended up giving me loads more ideas for things to try.  I also discovered some really amazing enamel artists which was inspiring and demoralising at the same time.


Charles Lewton-Brain Pendant
              Charles Lewton-Brain Pendant

Charles Lewton-Brain is the guy who runs the Ganoskin technical jewellery website, and also the translator of the book I was on about last time.  Top chap, obviously. Check his books out here.  Quite a few on my wishlist, especially Cheap Tricks in the Tool Shop.

                   


 
I wanted to do the proper scientific thing and make a test strip of reds, pinks and purples as technically they're more tricky to do.  Still haven't really managed to master it, despite firing at the correct temperature.  Maybe have been too slack in my preparation (me?!).  I did at least get a few colours to come out ok so it was worth it.  And I can say I've done scientific stuff too.






It looks quite pretty anyway (mackerel, anyone?), but as usual I have no idea how I could replicate a lot of it.  Yes, I did make notes but that doesn't always help.

Usually I apply enamels by sprinkling them on dry - this suits my style and enables me to build up lost of layers of subtle colours.  Sometimes, however, you need a consistent, flat area of colour within a border and for this you need to 'wet pack' the enamel.  This involves washing and mixing the enamel with water and packing it into the area you want to fill.  I'd never really got on with this before and found it annoying, but in a rare moment of perfectionism I decided I really should be able to do it.  And I could!  I think the problem before was that the enamel wasn't wet enough, so wouldn't stay where I wanted it to.

 
Evolution. Is it a bird, is it a fish? 
(Ignore the stone, I told you I'm still practising the setting)
 There's gold leaf underneath the garnet enamel which really shines out nicely I think.
Plus, check out my filigree!


I used a more painterly approach in the piece below.  This was a pendant based on a cabbage leaf I made in my first evening class at Leeds College of Art waaaaaay back in the mid-nineties.  It had been hanging around for years and nearly sent for scrap several times, but then it dawned on me that it was a prime candidate for a bit of wet packing, so that's what I did.  There are lots of layers of colours here, plus gold foil in some areas.  Had a disaster when one of the colours went really muddy so I had to use a stone to take it right back and start again.  Still needs a bit of a clean-up at the edges but I quite like it - a bit Art Nouveau, n'est pas?



Next on the list was melting, etching and printing from aluminium, but that's for another time.

I've so enjoyed giving myself time to experiment and have woken up with a spring in my step every morning - I thoroughly recommend it :)

Oh yes, the book I borrowed from the library and found really inspirational and full of new techniques was The Art of Fine Enamelling by Karen L Cohen (quite difficult to find to buy, also expensive).  Also First Steps in Enamelling by good old Jinks McGrath is really good for the basics.












No comments:

Post a Comment